The Tissington Trail is probably the best known of the Peak District’s family-friendly rides, providing a traffic-free route from Ashbourne to Hurdlow, south of Buxton. The views get better the further you go, though if you only want a short ride, make sure you follow the signs off the trail and into Tissington, a quintessential White Peak village, for a cup of tea. There are no directions to give, really – either pick up the trail from Ashbourne Leisure Centre (recommended as you get to ride through a spooky tunnel) or from the bike hire centre just north of town. If you’re interested in joining a group, you can read about our trip with the ladies and children only Ashbourne Breeze Ride here.
- AREA: Ashbourne
- DISTANCE: 13 miles one-way
- FACILITIES: Lots of facilities in Ashbourne, but also refreshments at Tissington, Parsley Hay, and the excellent Royal Oak at Hurdlow/li>
- BIKE HIRE: Yes. Bike seats and tagalongs also available.
- PARKING: Pay and display at the leisure centre or Ashbourne bike hire, off Mapleton Lane
- TERRAIN: Entirely traffic-free, mostly flat
- WHAT BIKE: Hybrids, mountain bikes or touring bikes